Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tutorial ~ Earring holder!

I made this earring holder a week or so ago, but I'm finally getting around to posting it! Let me know if you like it and if you make one... (today's bible verse:) So this is what you are going to make:
Supplies:


Screen (I used an old window screen.)


Picture frame, preferably round, because I don't know what will happen if you use a rectangle one :P


Acrylic paint


Sandpaper


Spray paint


Sharpie/s



First take your frame apart. Now you want to trace your glass piece on the screen. Next cut the traced shape out. Put this to the side.
Sand your frame (if it's wood. If it's not, you should spray primer and then probably spray paint it.).
Paint your frame. My paint failed. I tried to use dark brown and it just came out like a stain. :(
(see, you can still see the wood grain!)
So when that dried I tried painting it yellow. Fail again. >:( See, I fail, alot.
So then I painted it this orange out of a weird bottle I got at a garage sale with some canvases. That finally worked, but I didn't want orange. >:'(



(have you noticed my 'faces' keep getting angrier? They have.)
so I had to try painting it yellow again. UGHHH! It came out all swirly. >:"( <(he has two tears.. :P)
Sooo... I decided to go with the flow and leave it like that. Plus I was too lazy to repaint it.

I then sharpied lots of small flowers on it and called it good.

Hopefully yours will go much smoother than mine, so this should be a few minutes later.... Spray paint your screen and the back of the frame (the part with the stand).
And if you are anything like me, you'll spray your hand. alot. like all over. wow. But my excuse is that it was actually too cold to spray paint so I shuck the can inside and ran out sprayed them and ran back in. Yeah, I'm pretty cool. :) (oh, and notice the dollar price tag on the spraypaint??? Yeah, I found a thrift store that carries used barely empty spray paint for a buck or less. :D That makes me happy! It's my new fave thrift store!)
Put it all together and now it should look something like this:
Hang your handmade earrings and display them proudly! :P

Please comment if you like this! I'll do an earring tutorial soon! :)






Alyssa

5 comments:

Hannah Mary said...

That's so cool! I hope to make one :)

Brandi said...

This is such a neat idea! I recently made an earring holder using burlap. I love that you used a sharpie to add to your frame!

Shana said...

I'm always looking for ways to organize my jewelery...so thanks for this tutorial!

Pam Emerson said...

Once again, you provide a practical and cute solution to a problem I have. Thank you for sharing this! :) Keep the tutorials coming!

Imani said...

I'm just fining your blog. Love it! Wonderful idea. Yes, an earring tutorial is wanted. :o) thanks.